Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Conversations with an almost five year old

Gretchen: When we're five, we are going to do whatever we want to do.

Me: Um, I don't think so! As long as you live in this house, you will follow our rules.

Gretchen: When I'm five, I'm not going to live here anymore.

Me: Oh really? Where are you going to live?

Gretchen: Me and Heidi and going to live in our own house!

Me: Okay, how are you going to pay the bills? You'll have to get a job you know. What kind of job do you want? A teacher? A firefighter?...

Gretchen: Oh! I will be a teacher!

Me: What are you going to teach?

Gretchen: I will teach little kids how to dance!

Me: Okay, good! That sounds like a great job. Now, how are you going to get there...will you drive a car, or take a bus, or walk?

Gretchen: I'll take the bus.

Me: How will you pay for that?

Gretchen: I will just get the money from Kroger (our grocery store). Do they give you money there?

Me: No sweetie, you have to have your own money to buy stuff from there.

Gretchen: Oh, well as soon as I'm done teaching the kids every day, I'll come right home. Heidi, what job are you going to do?

Heidi: I think I'll be a mouse catcher.

********************************

Sigh. Is this what I have to look forward to...my five year old trying to leave home every other day? LOL She is really something. Man, where did she get that strong will from?


I should be cleaning my house right now, but that little exchange was just too priceless. It had to be recorded! We are having some family and friends over for the 4th tomorrow. It's my favorite holiday, and I just relish every minute of it!

Happy Birthday USA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROTFL! That's too funny. My kids are convinced they're going to live with us for the rest of their lives! LOL

Anonymous said...

Loved the conversation about your almost-5 year old leaving home! My almost-4 year old cries at the mere thought that he might not always live with me.