Saturday, July 14, 2007

Notfunatol

Rob has been out of town since Thursday. Gretchen's behavior has been deteriorating since that time. Yesterday, my MIL fell and broke her hip, and today she had a hip replacement surgery. After I had gotten the updates on that, Gretchen was being so ornrey that she picked up her plate and threw her lunch at me. It's as if we've gone right back to square one. So, this is what I've come up with tonight:

We have a name for this face - “evil cartoon character face”. But, there’s really nothing funny about it. Gretchen has been making this face since the age of 18 months, and it represents years of tantrums, screaming, anger and frustration., both for her and for us. This face reminds me of all the research I’ve done, the meetings with doctors and psychologists, the suggestion that she may be bipolar and the countless nights I have worried about what her future may hold. Mental illness still has such a stigma with it and it’s very difficult to find support and people who truly understand. I am truly grateful for the few people in our lives who have listened and offered me a break on days when things get really bad. Mom and Dad, Jim and Patrice, Jeanmarie, Angela, Debra, Melissa, Amy, Melinda, Audra and so many others have listened and been there when I needed it. So far, we think her behaviors might be associate with a sensitivty to cow’s milk, but it’s really just a starting point.. I will continue to rely on God for direction, and I pray that Rob and I can help her learn to manage the confusing feelings she must have inside. 7/14/07

Yes, I finally managed to capture that evil cartoon character face she makes when she's having a fit.

Time for a glass of wine...

No comments: