Saturday, July 22, 2006

Birthday Eve

What a great day we've had today! We went over to the fairgrounds to submit my artwork this afternoon. I should have a pretty good chance of at least getting some kind of ribbon, I think. There were only 9 entries in the scrapbooking class (I had two of them) and 7 entries in the photography/children class (I had two there as well). I'll find out Tuesday, the fair's opening day, how I did. Woohoo!

We drove around for a while, just crusing the city, the way we used to. I sure miss doing things like that. Then we stopped to have lunch at this cute little diner-type place...another treat.

I must pause here and applaud any of you amateur or professional cake decorators out there. I have spend my entire evening preparing the girls' birthday cakes.

Here I am attempting to frost the darn thing. How do people get it so smooth, and without crumbs in it? I put the cakes in the freezer for a couple hours first, which did help with cutting them. I also mixed a couple spoonfuls of corn syrup into the frosting to make it easier to spread, and dipped my spatula into warm water while frosting.




Heidi's cake









Gretchen's cake. Hmmm...can you tell which one I did first? LOL

I'm actually quite pleased with how they turned out, since I am generally baking-challenged. I used bubble gum tape to make the bow (above) and the flower (left), and then decorated with a little more frosting and some M&M's.

I found the template for this cake at DLTK's Kids Crafts site. Lots of cool stuff there...check it out!

I better get to bed...gonna need the energy for the party tomorrow. Later chicas!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your cakes are SO cute, Mish! You must be the coolest mom ever. :) Good luck at the fair!

Raji said...

The cakes look very cute, I'm going to steal your ideas for my niece's birthday cake:)

Deb said...

Best of luck with your fair entries Mish! Love the cakes - I'm afraid that after a few minor disasters due to last minute attempts to create a masterpiece after a long day at work - I've now buy the cakes! So much less stress LOL