Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Atilla the Mom

So it's been a while since I've blogged again...what's new, right? LOL This time I actually have a decent excuse.

The Friday before Memorial Day, Heidi came down with a fever, coughing, sneezing, congestion, etc. This had been going on all week (minus the fever) and I figured it was just a cold or allergies. Saturday Gretchen got the fever too, and we spend the weekend hunkered down, running sick bay. I don't know how other people do it, but in our house, the kids get the couches and I wait on them hand and foot. That's how my mom did it for me, and I know how rotten it feels to be sick, so I want to do the same for them.

By Monday I thought they were on the road to recovery, so we ventured out to a park and did this really cool canal boat ride. The boat is a replica of a canal boat from 1865, and is pulled by mules. The people running it are dressed in period costumes and "acting" as if we all lived in 1865. It was really cute. We even got to go through an actual working lock.




I sent them to school Tuesday, since they didn't have a fever. By Tuesday afternoon, though, the fevers were back and they were both coughing A LOT. Finally Wednesday I took Heidi to the doctor, and it turned out she had PNEUMONIA!! I was shocked! Well, at least we got her some medicine. That night Gretchen's fever went up and she coughed all night, so Thursday am it was her turn at the doctor. She had an ear infection, so it was antibiotics for her too.

We spent the rest of the week trying to recover, missing their school zoo trip and everything. I was able to send them back to school on Tuesday, and they were able to take their birthday treat, so everything worked out okay.

Now, Rob caught the bug. He's home sick today with a fever, coughing and congestion. It's like having another kid! I know he's feeling awful but I am SO DONE with the house being under quarantine! Let's just hope that I don't get it next. I don't have time to be sick!

I better get back to the grind. So far today, I have cut the grass, swept two driveways and the sidewalk in front of our house, done two loads of laundry, fixed all the meals, waited on Rob, watched the girls ride their bikes, baked cupcakes for my MIL's birthday (which is today) and took a short nap while they watched their afternoon show. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the girls are doing better but that stinks that Rob is now sick! Sending you stay well vibes that you don't come down with it too Mish!

Melinda said...

I hope this all passes by your house soon without you getting it. I think hubbies are worse than the kids when it comes to being sick. My DH had an upset stomach two nights ago and tossed and turned and moaned all night. Neither one of us got any sleep! It sounds like you had a fun time on the canal ride. I always love doing period things like that!