Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Americana

I was hardly on the computer this weekend, because we were doing lots of family activities. Saturday we went to the Cherry Festival in nearby Whitehouse. They do this every year and it's your typical Midwest, small town festival. They have a parade with a band, fire trucks (and lots of loud sirens!), tractors, cute little cars, and even camels!

There is something completely overwhelming and touching about watching a small town parade. For a brief moment, everyone comes together and gets along, enjoying the simple pleasures of life. Every time I go to a parade like this, I actually tear up! But then I'd weird like that. I also tear up at the first high school football game every fall, watching the marching band come out onto the field to their cadence. Ah, the good old days...but, I digress.

I need to add more to this layout, but I'm stuck, so I posted it anyway. Notice how I used the tag to strategically cover my butt! ROFL!! That is one of the worst photos of me ever. I think you can see every bump and bulge. Note to self: burn that outfit!!

Sunday we drove up to Great Lakes Crossing in Pontiac, Michigan (about 1.5 hours from here) for Rob's birthday. He wanted to take the girls to the Rainforest Cafe, and it was a great choice! They absolutely loved it. Their non-stop chattering all through lunch was really funny. We let them each pick out one thing from the gift shop, and they both chose little kitties. Now, they could have had something different and exotic, but no, kitties. They carried them all through the mall, making them meow. They just crack me up.

Yesterday we did a bedroom clean out in the morning, and then we met some friends at a playground after lunch. A trip to Target set me back about $38, even though I went in to look for a birthday gift for Rob and couldn't find it! I got a new strawberry tablecloth with some red vinyl placemats...very summery and bright, along with some supplies for S'mores, and Uncle Sam hat for Rob to wear on the 4th, patriotic socks for the girls and a couple other odds and ends.

A couple of blog prompts from Stephani at KB and Friends...

What do you consider to be the ultimate snack food?
I can only choose one? Oh man! I guess I'd say cereal, because that can cover many different kinds. You can eat it dry, or with milk for something more substantial. And what kid doesn't like dry Cheerios? ;-)

Name a hobby that you’ve tried but eventually gave up for some reason.
I used to do counted cross-stitch when I was a kid, around 4th-6th grade. It was fun, and I learned from my mom. Once I got involved with music/band/junior high, I just didn't have time anymore. Now, I don't know if I'd have the patience! LOL

Have a great day!





3 comments:

Carrie Nichols said...

I know what you mean about tearing up! I thought I was the only one. I tear up at air shows too...watching military jets flying around. Of course it doesn't help that my oldest is a military buff and might join after college.

My boys always loved Rainforest Cafe too. LOL! over the kitties from the gift shop...sounds like my boys when they were little.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big weeper too, Mish! Those little community things get me every time. Your Target trip sounds successful, even if you didn't get what you originally went for. I hope you're having a good week!

Anonymous said...

I tear up on that stuff too Mish! A good ol' American song will make me tear up any ol' day, LOL!