Monday, October 02, 2006

Princess for a day

It's okay to "just be"
I had a bit of an epiphone the other day. You see, lately I've been having an identity crisis about being a SAHM and trying to decide if I should go get a part time job. But then, as usual, God stepped and gently smacked me in the head and said "get a grip"!

I have remembered the importance of being available to people. To listen, to help, to just be. Last week, our dear friends and neighbors lost their FIL. Since my girls are in school now and I'm not working, I was available to go to the funeral and lunch afterward. I was so grateful to be able to spend that time with them when most people didn't have that luxury.

Today I took my girls to a princess party. I couldn't have done that if I was working. Tomorrow, I am going to volunteer at their school to help the new choir director with sorting/organizing music. Once again, I can do these things because I have the time.

It's so easy to get caught up in getting a paycheck and doing some type of seemingly "important" work, but in terms of eternity, will that really matter? I want to look back on my life and know that I was a good wife, a good mom, a good friend, a good daughter...etc. And you know what? In order to be all of those things, it takes TIME.

'Nough said.


Princess Party
I know you are dying of curiousity about this princess party. So here is the layout I did this evening to record the event:

I blocked out the faces/names of the other little girls at the party...just to be respectful of their privacy. See all the credits here.

Melinda is doing a cool AAM challenge at RAKScraps - create an mini album about your favorite things. Here are the first two I've done:



Oh I have so much more to say but I really should get to bed, as it's 2:12 am. 'Nite!

6 comments:

meems said...

ahh, wise words about SAHMhood, thanks! Like your layouts a lot too. hmm, elevator oil? I'm not even sure what that smells like . . .

Unknown said...

I think I'm in the same SAHM funk you are - I still don't think I've quite mastered just being yet. Some days I love it, today I hate it. I'm glad you were able to be there for your friend though! I LOVE the favorite smells layout - SO COOL! :)

Raji said...

Ah, Mish, that could have been written by me, last month I was so bored & depressed that I was seriously looking for part-time jobs, this week, I took my dd out for walks & enjoyed her baby talk & I realized that I would miss that if I went for work. Love your favorite color LO.

Val said...

Hey, it's Val! I just gotta say, this is the first post in this blog I've read and it really hits home with me. My youngest in si preschool, so I'm already thinking, "When they're both in school all day, will my day's a SAHM be over?" So happy to see someone on the flip side of this to give me a little perspective :)

jane said...

enjoy the time with your family mish! i am so busy i am missing so much! im just waiting for the day when i can settle back into what is really important in life. just a few more ducks in a row is all i need!!

Meredith said...

this was my issue this week! well, one of them! my daughter was cranky and making me crazy, and I just wanted OUT! i was sitting in my computer chair, just wanting to cry (darn pregnancy hormones!) and hannah crawled into my lap and gave me a big hug and a kiss and told me that I was her most beautiful mom EVER. how could i ever want to leave that? even for a few hours a day? the good definitely outweighs the bad for me.