Monday, January 09, 2006

Praise God!!!

DH just called me from work to let me know that he was able to recover everything from my dead hard drive!!! Yay!!! He just took it and plugged it into his Mac (rather than our PCs here at home) and it came right up! He is now backing up all of my 48GB of scrapping files to DVDs.

Turns out the external HD was faulty, and is still under warranty, so the company will be replacing it no charge. I learned many things in this experience...

1. External HDs are not really meant to be portable. I had been moving it around since I like to move my laptop around the house and scrap in different locations. The process of moving it around might have contributed to its failure.

2. You MUST properly shut down the drive before unplugging it from your PC. I didn't realize this! That also could have added to the problem.

3. BACK UP YOUR DATA...WEEKLY, IF NOT MORE OFTEN!!!

Thankfully I learned my lesson without the disaster of actually losing all those precious layouts I worked so hard to create. Thank you God for small miracles!!

2 comments:

Ginger Thibodeau said...

Mish - You are lucky girl! I almost lost all Cass pics from age 9 months to 15 I think it was .. I was in the pratice of backing up a few times a year. Your tips are awesome. I actually now regularly backup as well becasue I was in TEARS when I thought all my photos were gone! We should team up as rectangles sometime and make something together! I know we said we were gonna then never got around to it.

DigiscrapMom said...

Thank you for the tips. Last year was hell for me because I had to reformat my drive a couple of times and I never was that diligent in backing up my files.

I've established a routine to backup my data every 2 weeks. It's a tedious process but this is the only way to protect our data.

I'm happy that you didn't lose anything in that drive. And thank goodness for warranties! :D