Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I have a new hobby

It's amazing how one thing can distract you from another. I've been digiscrapping for about 3 years now and still love it, but sometimes I get in a rut and get a little bored with it. I've been wanting to learn how to knit for so long, and I finally went and bought some yarn and needles and figured I'd give it a try. This is where I was reminded of the real value of face to face, personal interaction, rather than just the Internet.

I went to You Tube to find some videos on the basic procedures for slips knots, casting, knit stitch and purl stitches. I found some really good ones, and they were really helpful. So I decided to go for and and began making something that kind of resembled a scarf. It wasn't really supposed to be anything specific, but more so just to practice the stitches. It came out pretty garbled looking and really pretty ugly! LOL

Yesterday I went to the little knitting shop which is literally right around the corner from my house, hoping to find some guidance. Mom had the kids for the day, and I wanted to take a little time for myself...yay! The shop is so warm, cozy and inviting. There is nothing like being able to touch and see all the yarns, and talk to the owner who is so knowledgeable about all things yarn. A lady, who reminded me a lot of my Grandma, took me around the store and answered all my questions. I wanted to make a hat (which I'm realizing now is more of an intermediate project...oh well), and she set me up with a pattern the yarn and the needles I would need. I sat down with her and she supervised me casting on and knitting a couple of rows. It was so cool to have someone who was willing to take the time to teach me, and it feels good to be supporting a local business rather than getting my supplies at Walmart.

I'm going to try to remember to take photos along the way, so I can document my first official knitting project. :-) I'm probably the only one who is truly excited by this, but I don't care...it's fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited! When you visit, you can teach me how to knit, and I will teach you how to crochet! Bring your hat.

Melinda said...

sounds like fun! my grandmother crochets and knits. She tried to teach me to crochet granny squares when I was younger and I just didn't have the patience for it. That makes me a bit sad, since I don't think I will ever get that opportunity now.

Unknown said...

How fun, Mish! My knitting phase lasted all of about 2 months, and I was terrible at it! I can't wait to see what you can do - getting out by yourself sounds like great fun. Enjoy the knitting (James calls it clicking because of the sound of the needles. lol).

Anonymous said...

Hey -- that's cool! Great new hobby. Didn't know there was a cozy little knitting store near you. Did I ever tell you I learned to knit in 5th or 6th grade? Got a scarf half-done, never finished it, and since have forgotten how to knit! (Of course - it's been over 20 years.) Give me a call when you have time so we can catch up, ok?

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! From a fellow digiscrapper/knitter, I am VERY excited for you. Can't wait to see the hat! Have fun!

Meredith said...

i love the feeling of yarn in my hands and the satisfaction of making something useful. I love to crochet and to knit. I'm not very good, but I love to do it! Word of warning... it's addicting!