Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Comparisons can be dangerous

This morning after I dropped the girls off at school, one of the other moms approached me. Here is the conversation that followed.

Her: Are you Heidi and Gretchen's mom?
Me: Yes, that's me!
Her: Does someone else pick them up sometimes?
Me: Oh, you must have seen my mom last week. We were out of town and the girls were staying with she and my dad.
Her: Oh! Okay. I wasn't sure if you were the mom or she was the mom. She looks so young!
Me: Yup, that's my mom! She looks great, doesn't she?
Her: Yes! I can't believe she's the grandma! Oh, but I mean, you look young too, of course...

Well, you get the idea. She went on to invite us to join her family at McDonald's some day after school for lunch. Now, my mom DOES look great. She is 62 years old and people are always saying how young she looks. She's always taken good care of herself and always has her hair done, makeup on, decent looking outfit, jewelry, the whole nine yards. And then there is me, who shows up at school with no makeup, in jeans, a t-shirt and crocs, and my hair may or may not be combed. Sigh. At least one of us looks good!

So here, you be the judge. Do we look like sisters, or mother-daughter?

(and if you don't know me, please don't comment asking which one I am...I might just start crying or something!! LOL)

I should be doing housework but it's just no fun, so I'm goofing off blogging instead. But, now that I've finished this, laundry it is. Ciao!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej! Ok, now come on, yes your mom does look young... for her age. You certainly don't look like siblings! You look far younger, because you are. No amount of hair or makeup work could make her look your age. It's no wonder that comment hit you hard, though... I understand. Just think about me and Joyce who are both extremely low-maintenance like you sometimes want to be too. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Mish! You defnitely look like Mother and Daughter, your Mom looks young, but so do you! That woman must have her foot in her mouth on a constant basis!! And hey, that's how I show up when I drop JT off too, in fact I can't think of a single Mom who doesn't. I think it's generational actually, my Mom is always dressed up too, and just think, we are young enough to get away with not dressing up!

Meredith said...

At the risk of offending your mom, I'm gonna have to say definitely Mother/ Daughter. Now, would I guess that your mom is in her 60s? Never. But I would put you in your late 20s, 30 at most.

Robin said...

You look like mom daughter or else at least much older & younger sister! :) People are always saying that about me and my mom too. Your mom does look great - but so do you!

Gina.Maria said...

Mom's pretty smokin' for 62! ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree that your mom looks great for 62 but there is no question that you are mother and daughter and not sisters. When my kids were in grade school there were lots of moms who put a scarf over their hair and took the kids to school... not a dress up event for most of us.
Connie