Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back to Bloggin'

We are back from Orlando! Here are some layouts I've managed to get done so far:

This was the second time we have been to the EPCOT Food & Wine Festival. What a treat to be able to sample so many varieties of foods! Here’s what we tried:
Dominican Republic - Monfongo (mashed yucca root topped with grilled shrimp - my favorite!)
Canada - Canadian Cheese Soup, Maple Glazed Salmon with Roasted Corn and Arugula, LaBatt’s
USA/Okalahoma - Seared Buffalo with Scalloped Wild Onions
Japan - Crispy Sukiyaki Beef Roll, Takara Plum Wine
Greece - Spanakopita, Boutari Xin Wine
Mexico - Chilaquiles
New Zealand - Lamb Slider
Germany - Spaetzle with Creamy Mushroom Ragout, Beck’s Oktoberfest Draft Bier
Sam Adams Beer Seminar,
India - Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paratha Bread (tied for first as my favorite)
Ireland - Boxty, Honey Wine
We also got to see Sheena Easton and Starship live in concert, who were there for the festival. It felt like the 1980s all over again!


Credits:
Sunrise Lounge by Jennifer Trippetti at Scrapdish
Old Mats by Jessica Bolton
Font: KGD Christy S Script, and Printy




I learned something about myself on our trip; I find it difficult to relax. Now I don’t mean physically, because it’s easy to veg in front of the TV. I’m talking about true relaxation, where you can turn off your mind and just “be”. The afternoon I spent at the Yacht and Beach Club Resort pool was as close to true relaxation as I’ve come in a long time. The atmosphere was gorgeous, the water temperature perfect and I found a spot with just the right combination of sun and shade. While Rob was busy at the conference, I enjoyed the pool, lunch at the snack bar and time to myself.

Word art by Eve Recinella, from Frolic Some
Paper by Traci Reed, from Dare to Be
Font: Angelina




Credits: The Sam Adams beer seminar is a fun part of the Food and Wine Festival. A George
Clooney look-alike helped us sample four different beers. My favorite was the Light beer. I finally understand the difference between the hops and the barley aspects of the beer. Too bad they didn’t give us full glasses!

Template by Andrea Gold
Stitched circle by Karen Hunt
Felix kit by lauraskathi
Pop Top Poppers by Kim Jensen
Font: Angelina

We also took the girls to Cedar Point for one last time over the weekend, but I still have to scrap those pics. They were so spent by Sunday afternoon, and Heidi had a slight fever and some stomach issues. I have to remember how much they love being home and having their little routine. They were delighted to sleep in their own beds again, or I should say Heidi's bed.


That brings me to our latest parenting dilemma. The girls have been insisting on sleeping together in Heidi's bed (a full size bed) for the past several weeks now. I don't really care, and I think it's really sweet that they have a special bond and like being together. However, there was a reason we separated them in the first place. They also need time apart, and space to be alone if they want to. I hesitate to have them share a room, but they are asking for bunk beds for Christmas and want to turn one of the rooms into a play room. Any parents of twins want to weigh in on this one?



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a great time! I don't have twins, but I know they have a different bond than regular siblings, even if they are not identical. You would love having a play room, but then there is the discipline problem..... I am no help at all.

Meredith said...

love your orlando layouts. looks like you guys had a great time! i don't have twins. but my good friend does. her twins have bunk beds, a double on the bottom and twin on top, because they usually end up sleeping together in the double bed. when they want their space or one is sick, then the other twin sleeps in the top bunk. they also have their own dresser/desk area so they can keep separate things and spaces. they have clearly defined halves of the closet, too. i remember sharing a room with my two sisters when i was younger. my mom didn't send us to our rooms when we got in trouble (our room was too much fun) we either had to sit in the bathtub or the formal living room to calm down. not much fun.

Melinda said...

Oh, everything on your list from the tour at Epcot sounds delicious!! (even in my non-hungry, sick state LOL)

Beth and Carissa have always shared a room- we don't have enough space for them not to. They shared a crib until they were about 6 months old. Putting them in separate cribs was what finally allowed them to start sleeping through the night as Carissa is a very restless child even in sleep ;) They've had their own twin beds since they moved out of the cribs. I'm often surprised to find them wrapped around each other in one bed some mornings, even now at age 9. I've told them I prefer they sleep in their own beds, but I can't enforce it any way really and as long as they both agree to sleep together then I guess I don't have too much problem with it. They don't sleep together every night, only sometimes and I think Carissa is usually upset about something so Beth is comforting her. Mark made them a set of bunk beds this summer and they like them as it gives them more floor room. They are in different classes at school, so I think they enjoy being together when they are home. If Gretchen and Heidi are both agreeing with the suggestion, then you might give it a try and see how it goes for everyone. You can always separate them again if it doesn't work out.